Before General Anesthesia
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) 8 hours before surgery (including gum or mints).
- Please brush your teeth (rinse and spit) before your surgery.
- No alcohol, smoking, or recreational drugs 24 hours before and after surgery.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with your doctor prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- Asthmatic patients: Please bring your inhalers with you on the day of surgery.
- Medications approved to be taken within the (2) hours of surgery, must be taken with a minimal amount “sip” of water.
- A responsible adult (> 18 years old) must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, drive the patient home, and stay with the patient overnight.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with short sleeves OR sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow.
- Contact lenses, jewelry and dentures must be removed prior to surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have acrylic nails, at least one finger of each hand will need to have the acrylic removed, if not done prior to surgery, it may be removed the day of surgery.
- If you have any illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office as soon as possible.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment for surgery, contact our office at least 24 hours in advance to avoid cancellation fees. An automated answering system is always available.
- No cell phones/smart devices are allowed in the treatment rooms and/or recovery.
If you have any questions or concerns prior to surgery, please don’t hesitate to call our office at 913-451-7680.